Saturday, March 8, 2008

Friday Date Night

We had a very unexpected date night. The one where you choose a restaurant that could be hit or miss and rent a movie that you're not sure you're going to like. The night seemed to work out perfectly!

We started off by trying a new Indian restaurant not exactly downtown (where we usually venture). This weekend is the kick off of SXSW (a big music, film, and interactive festival Austin is known for every year) and we knew that downtown would be swarming with out-of-towners. The restaurant was called SarOvar and didn't look very promising from the outside. Although, some of the best restaurants aren't exactly crowd pleasers from the outside. When we first got there we both had trouble breathing......err. Basically we had heard how spicy this restaurant was from reviews and if you took a deep breath when entering the restaurant you could definitely tell that that was no lie. We were literally breathing in pepper particles......there was no mistaken it (yikes)! So strike one already.....it was hard not to cough every now and then from the peppery air quality. Then we sat there for a good 15 min. before a waitor/waitress even came to speak to us about the menu or anything. Alex has a great ability to go with the flow most of the time....whereas I get annoyed when I don't receive the service I expect in restaurants. I was just telling Alex how I was about to get up and complain when our waitor came by and welcomed us. Strike 2. However, he turned out to be a really friendly guy....and we could tell that he probably was just really busy and didn't realize how long we were there. Okay fine, Plus 1. We asked a lot of questions about the menu since it had options and meal deals we'd never seen before, our waitor was super knowledgeable about Indian cuisine and even steered us away from their Coconut Curry as he said the chef was still perfecting it......wow Thanks! Plus 2, we've broke even now. The food came out and I so wish I had brought my camera with me since the small cups of sauces and the meal itself was so intricate and we had so many choices! I ordered the vegetable Korma while Alex got the Chicken Tika Masala. Since we made both our meals "Thali" for an extra $3 we also received curried lentils, curried peppers, two different types of soups, yogurt sauce, and rice pudding. It was allll so delicious. Plus 3!

We left and popped in "Wonder Boys," which we picked up at Blockbuster before we went to the restaurant. Alex had seen the movie before and loved it. It's a dark comedy that is so quirky and well......unexpected. SO funny, if you haven't seen it definitely go out and rent it (right away :-) Robert Downey Jr's character was hilarious and Michael Douglas played a cooky professor just trying to deal with his life that is spiraling out of control!

3 comments:

Alec said...

I'd been debating about seeing "Wonder Boys" for a long time. I love Michael Chabon, the author, and was afraid they'd botch the movie... but on your recommendation, I think I'll view it.

When it comes to Indian food, I can take it or leave it (probably just haven't found that magic dish that pulls me in)... but I could probably eat my weight in naan.

Brian Kirk said...

that's very different from first friday & pizza at home slice. i'm not a fan of sarovar & a many other restaurants in that area of burnet. i do enjoy the movie "wonder boys" though. it's one of the last movies i purchased about 2/3 years ago before i realized how much of a waste of cash it was to purchase DVDs.

Eryn said...

BW: definitely take a chance and rent Wonder Boys....we just watched it AGAIN. I know! and oh, I decided to stick with the dress I have :-)

BK: we took your advice and stayed away from downtown since it's sxsw.