Saturday, November 3, 2007

A night out in Austin


Last night Alex and I had a very nice date night to celebrate the week's end!!! We said a sad farewell to Saci (she always is sooo hard to say goodbye to, how can puppy dog eyes not make you feel guilty) and then drove downtown in Perla (the fantastico Honda Fit).

Alex found that there was a gallery opening last night with the theme: Artists responding to the War. There were a lot of people there which is always encouraging, like most Americans these days I cannot wait until this useless war is OVER. Much of the work was very moving and had strong messages behind them.

Afterwards we went across the street to a new restaurant called Gypsy :-) I had a peach bellini for the first time and it may become one of my new fav drinks (behind kuhlua and creme of course). We both had amazing house salads with arugula, pecorino cheese, homemade croutons, and the house dressing. For the main course I had a dish with stacked eggplant, roasted peppers, tomatos, and zuchini and with a side of butternut squash gnocchi (it was ok, don't think I'd order it again, one of those dishes that looks great on paper just isn't executed well) and Alex had Chicken Piccata that was delicious just insanely buttery :-)

On Sunday we're participating in the Komen Race for the Cure with my mom, I've heard how inspiring the walk is.....excited about it!

2 comments:

Alec said...

I think that dish that you described (without the gnocchi) is actually ratatouille. It was considered a "peasant's dish." Now, it's a movie about a rat who can cook. Go figure.

(And I hope you had an inspirational time at the race, ragazza!)

erin said...

this post makes me HUNGRY! That dinner sounds lovely!